Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Making life more...interesting

I'm not sure what possessed me, but I really wanted to try dying eggs with natural dye this year.  Maybe because it seemed like more of a project for Frances and me to do together, maybe because the naturally dyed eggs I've seen in magazines look so nice.  Regardless, I wanted to give it a shot.  So Frances and I mashed grapes and peeled oranges and measured paprika, among other things.  (A note on Frances's outfit in the first three pictures:  She started the day in a turtle neck and hot pink pants.  Then she added a ballerina skirt and a pink corduroy dress and a "babysuit" to top it off.  Thanks for the handy-me-downs, Auntie Jocelyn.  They've been a big hit.) 

Grapes in the pot?  Check.


Orange peel in the even-bigger pot?  Check, plus some actual orange Frances threw in for good measure.


Put the pots on the stove and boil for a bit.


All the dyes ready for use.  Frances needed to be convinced these eggs weren't for peeling.


And the finished product on Easter.  We let the eggs sit over night in the dye, but when we removed the eggs from the dye they didn't look like much, to put it mildly.  I thought the whole project was a bust, but then Mark arranged the eggs in a pretty bowl and towel and they looked much better.


I'm very tempted to try again next year with some stronger dye, but I also know Frances might have more fun dropping eggs into good old Paas dye, waiting a minute, and pulling out bright eggs, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment