Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Princess and the "e"

One of the best things about this pregnancy, and it was a great pregnancy, was a surprise baby shower that my friends Tara and Beka, and their significant others, threw for me, and Mark and Frances, in semi-abstentia. This is most of the gang here. All these folks went to Bryn Mawr or Haverford. We could send this picture into the alumni magazine, but I promised not to.


Tara and Andrew got me to Beka and Dan's apartment with an embarrassingly simple ruse. At the door to the apartment, I thought we must be in the wrong place because I could hear a bunch of people talking in Beka's apartment. But, no, we were in the right place, as I could see when I got inside and everyone waved hello. Tara later revealed to me that she was a touch dismayed that the guests didn't jump up and yell "Surprise." She decided that that was the difference between my friends and her friends. I think we can generalize a bit more. It's a perfect example of the difference between extroverts and introverts, Bryn Mawr students and Haverford students: Mawrters jump up and yell while Fords sit on the couch and wave. It's also why I felt I had rejoined the mother ship when I went to Haverford.

The activity for the baby shower was brilliant and much better than any other baby shower activity I've ever heard of. Everyone decorated onesies. It kept everyone diverted for hours and I got to go home with a whole new wardrobe for Frances. This is Tara hanging up the onesies to dry.


And now we come to the Princess and the "e." Tara made this onesie that says "Princess." Note the flower on the cuff - it's just precious, I have to say.

And Andrew, believing me when I said this baby was going to be called Ellie, carefully drew this mighty "e" with a sun and stripes. I love it.


Stay tuned for more onesies. There are many more to come.



1 comment:

  1. Very clever, I have to say... the princess and the e instead of pea. Cute onesies too. I'm glad you had that experience.

    ReplyDelete