Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eighteen Months of Toddler Frances

I had grand plans, but this was the best photo I got on Frances's Eighteen Months Birthday.




Frances has learned to say "baa" so it seemed fitting to introduce her to a real live sheep on her Eighteen Months Birthday and there was a free opportunity to do so in the neighborhood, but it was lightning and sheep and lightning don't mix. So we ran errands. Sorry, kiddo.

Eighteen Month Fun Facts


  • Firsts: Animal Sounds! Early in the month, Frances completely surprised me with a "Woof" when I pointed to a picture of a dog. I felt like the scientists at SETI getting their first message back. 3-2-1 Contact! "Woof" was quickly followed by "baa." Who says "woof" and who says "baa" gets a little confusing. Poodles say "baa." Still, so proud.


  • Language: "Brsh" is "brush" and "duck-a, duck-a" is duck. I've got one "momma," but "brsh" we get several times a day. Sigh. The answer to every question is "yeah." For example, I'll say "Frances, you want to go to bed now?" and she'll say "Yeah!" She doesn't mean it.



  • Obsessions: Elmo, dogs and babies. We have four of the library's Elmo books in heavy rotation. She'll willingly let me cut her nails if I show her a video of dogs. And babies must be pointed at and commented on. She also has a new love for her baby doll. Whenever the doll isn't in sight, Frances chimes in with "Baby? Baby? Baby?" and we go find the baby.



  • Greatest Aspiration: Frances has mastered hopping (okay, she cleared a couple inches once) and has moved on to spinning. She'll spin around a few times and then stumble around like a drunken sailor grinning to herself.



  • Health Status: Another iffy health month. Her doctor declared her to have Schmutz of the Face - that's a cold for non-medical types - and told me not to worry. Fine. We also had a well-toddler check up. Frances did really well. She is 33 inches long (75th-90th percentile) and weighs 23 lb.s and 1 oz. (30th percentile). The pediatrician was not pleased with her weight gain, so we're going back in a few weeks for a weigh-in. The pediatrician wasn't worried that she was in the 30th percentile; she was worried that Frances had dropped percentiles since her last weigh-in. So Frances is now eating fattier chicken nuggets dipped in Ranch dressing, followed by peanut butter balls and chocolate pudding made with half and half, sprinkled with ground pecans. Hopefully, Frances will bulk up before Mark and I look like houses. Poor Frances has had 15 weigh-ins in her 18 months. Fingers crossed.



  • Hardest part of the day: Post nap. She wakes up before she means to and just comes unhinged. It's frustrating for both of us, and I haven't figured out a solution yet, but...



  • Best part of the day: For about a half hour before she goes to bed at night, Frances gets into the goofiest, happiest mood. Then, when we put her to bed, she gives us a great big smile and cries out "Bye!" like she's about to go on a wonderful adventure. I love it, such a nice way to finish the day.


A stranger in the grocery store once told me everything between 18 months and 18 years was bad, but we're doing well so far. Now I have to go because I'm about to get some toddler help on the computer.




2 comments:

  1. That stranger is lying! There are definitely difficult moments, but I can attest to many, many amazing moments between 18 months and almost 7 years. I do hear that the teenage years are an incredible bear, but our mother wouldn't say that.

    Right around Frances's age, every once in awhile, Nora would wake up from her nap and cry for about 45 minutes. Some days I would stand back slightly amused, and other days, I would want to cry myself. In hind sight, I wish I had thought to just hold her and sing and read. That might have done the trick (or not).

    ReplyDelete
  2. the most darling little child.......well, except for my other 4 favorite people in the whole world!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete