Sunday, August 15, 2010

Frances, the Shaker

Some parents drag their kids to Civil War battlefields. Some kids get dragged through museums. Frances Elliott Upton gets to see Shaker villages. Yes, Mark and I have an interest in all things Shaker, so we headed to very Western Massachusetts to see the Hancock Shaker Village, which at its largest housed 300 to 400 earnest souls. Frances, as usual, took everything in good-naturedly.



The grounds were beautiful, but their round barn is the Hancock Shaker Village's particular claim to fame. It housed a manure trough underground, a horse and cow stable on the ground floor and a hay loft on the second floor.

Inside the round barn.
There were also plenty of live animals to talk to.
Sir, we're practicing saying "Baaa," but no luck so far. She's far more versed at something that sounds like "Dah-di." I'm sure "Grandfather Sir" is right around the corner.

I believe this was the kitchen in the basement of the living quarters. I liked the irregular marble floor. I'm making notes just in case Mark lets me have some say in the design of our future house. A girl can dream.






Workshops, divided east and west so men and women wouldn't have to interact.



The ice house. Ice was gathered from frozen lakes and stored upstairs on slatted floors. Cold air and water preserved food downstairs.





The school house. The Shakers may have been celibate, but they reared many children, both from their lives before joining the Brethren and foster children in hopes of swelling their ranks. Only about 10 percent of the foster children became Shakers.

I think the docent in the school house was a little bored. As soon as we came through the door, she wanted to know Frances's name so she could spell it out. We were completely pleased with her, of course.



The worship house, where the Shakers earned their name, shaking with the holy spirit.

Frances appreciated all the room to move around.


Then it was back in the car for the two hour trip home. Frances slept the whole way, and still was in bed by 8 o'clock. What a good baby.

2 comments:

  1. Civil War battlefields? Museums? That's nothing...how about oh, I don't know 100 BLOCKS of Chicago rain. That's the best. Talk about character building. Don't worry, Frances, your time will come. I forced my children to go nearly an hour past their dinnertime searching for that perfect stop on our way to KC.

    It's in the genes. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Hancock Shaker Village last summer while I was at camp! And I went with a small child! It was supes fun:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/taralovespics/sets/72157622039925620/

    ReplyDelete