Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thirty-Five Months of Preschooler Frances

On Frances's thirty-five months birthday, we attended the Hindu blessing of my friends' daughter.  Frances loved it.  She got to take her shoes off and ramble around in "church," as she described it.  She got to sprinkle somethingorother into a burning somethingorother.


And she got a "decoration."  She was very pleased with the "decoration."


She also got to run around with some older and very generous children and eat Indian rice, which she likes, it turns out.  She was one happy camper.



The month as a whole has been easier - many more smiles, much less obstreperousness.

Thirty-Five Months Fun Facts

  • Firsts: Frances had her first night without mom or dad!  She stayed with Mimi and Sir in Maine while Mark and I had our first non-parenting night together in almost three years.  Everyone survived.  Frances did end up sleeping with Mimi and Sir, something she almost never gets away with at home, but no one even complained about that much.  It does make us wish the grandparents lived closer, but I don't see that changing any time soon.
  • Frances-isms: "Stick-lip" for lipstick and "mishmallows" for marshmallows.
  • Things I never thought I'd say before having a two year-old: "No, don't lick the bottom of your shoe." Except that I didn't bother saying it.  I just watched her lick the bottom of her shoe and said nothing.  I must have been very tired that day.
  • New skill: Frances can put shirts on by herself now.  She even did it while having a fit in timeout the other day!  Very impressive.  She still hasn't figured out how to get long-sleeved shirts off, but she's getting there.
  • Favorite reads:  Owl Moon by Jane Yolen and The Perfect Pumpkin Pie by Denys Cazet have been requested more than once.  I've also introduced Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall, a book I loved as a child.  Frances hasn't fallen in love with it yet, but she tolerates it and I have high hopes.
That about sums it up.  Next update will be her Third Birthday!  Last year, she didn't understand birthdays at all.  This year she is rarin' to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment