Sunday, May 27, 2012

Boston Nature Center

Mark was out of town a couple Saturdays ago, and I didn't want poor Frances to feel deprived, so we headed off together to the Boston Nature Center.  Big success, with a little paranoia thrown in.  When Frances and I pulled into the Center, we were greeted by a herd of wild turkeys.  I love that about Massachusetts, the roving bands of giant birds.  My camera couldn't quite do them justice, so I'm not including a photo, but just imagine very large birds with Frances in hot pursuit trying to pat them.

First, Frances and I walked a .3 mile trail and picked flowers.


That took about four minutes, so then we started in on a five mile loop.  Frances did quite well for about 30 minutes.


Then, I became convinced that the boogie man could easily do away with us without any civilized human knowing otherwise and I decided never to go hiking without another adult ever again.  About two minutes later, I realized we were very, very close to a brand new subdivision that Mark and I had even considered moving to.  We were maybe 100 feet from some very civilized humans.  But Frances wanted to be carried at that point, so I decided it was time to turn around.

Back at the Nature Center headquarters, some only slightly tortured-looking teenagers were offering bird crafts for the kids.  Frances's favorite craft was making binoculars out of two toilet paper rolls.  Here she is using them to scout out some birds.


(She's been using them on and off for days now.  She can't quite manage saying "binoculars" though; when she can't find them, she wanders around saying "Where my noc'ers?"  Very unfortunate.)

We finished up by moving some sand around.


Very successful morning, turkeys, boogie man and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment