Thursday, May 24, 2012

Oh, Joy!

Mother's Day, again.  I've heard normal people go out to brunch on Mother's Day.  Somehow, I've been in a Mother's Day 5k two years in a row.  I blame the Ahouses.  I really do.

This year, Frances and Sophia Ahouse got in on the action with a 1k of their own. Lining up before the race, that's Frances almost in the center of the picture in a white shirt and pink pants with Sophia to Frances's right in a blue and white striped dress.


And they're off!!  Can you see the girls?  They're towards the back with Dave, Sophia's dad, running between them.


And then the rest of the kids finished and it became a group effort.  That's Michele with baby Theo strapped to her chest, Sophia, Frances, Dave and me.  I haven't had such fun in a long time.  The girls kept trooping along, long after we had the race all to ourselves.


And then the girls got their numbers pinned on, because we were a wee bit late, and their ribbons.  I was so proud.  Seems like a very motherly thing to do, doesn't it, beam with pride even if your kid comes in last?  I was just so pleased with her First Race.


I think the girls were mostly so pleased with having their own numbers.  And Dave is so pleased with being funny in the background of pictures.


Then the grown-ups had their 5k, with Dave again pushing the girls, Michele running her first race since giving birth two months ago, and me bringing up the rear.  It's a challenging race, with lots of up hill running.  Dave was the first runner with a stroller to finish, and he had two kids!  And I finished!


I mentioned after the race that I'd heard Mother's Day brunches were all the rage and that we might try one out next year.  The Ahouses agreed that would be a great reward, after next year's race.

I blame the Ahouses.  I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment