Sunday, May 13, 2012

Little Bookworms Story Hour

One of my favorite things about our new neighborhood is attending the Little Bookworms Story Hour at the local animal shelter.  That may sound a little strange.  It sounded strange to me when I first heard about it.  Going to a story hour at an animal shelter sounded potentially very depressing, so I avoided it for at least a month.  Eventually, I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did.  The kids have about an hour to meet some animals (ferrets, rabbits, parrots, dogs and cats, so far), color pictures, play with play-dough, sing silly songs, listen to stories, pretend to be animals and then get animal stickers.  It's chaos, but I love it because the kids are so happy and the woman in charge is so enthusiastic about introducing her animals to all the kids.

Last week, the kids got their faces painted.  It was Frances's first encounter with face paint and she loved it.


Can you guess what she is?  Give up?  She's a rabbit.  See it now?  (All rabbits have purple eye brows, you just have to look really closely.)  Miss Frances was completely pleased with herself and showed her paint to anyone who would listen to her for the rest of the day.  It was a hoot.  And I think they do face painting every month.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment